Thursday, July 08, 2010

An Ode to Gas Stoves

Oh, my beautiful white 2/3-sized gas stove,
how I love when your propane line is attached!
You boil water in a few minutes
(instead of a quarter of an hour)
You sizzle chicken and spices,
filling the air with the aroma of a Texan desert
with a sweet touch of gas mixed in.
You cool down quickly,
limiting the chance of making gooey plastic
of dinner plates.

You are not like the dirty white 2/3-sized electric stove
who yawns at my rush to cook lunch
and meanders through temperatures
before deciding to boil the pan's contents,
who stays hot and burns fingers and melts plastic.

No, gas stove of this fourth floor apartment,
you provide a convenient location to prepare food
and ask for little in return:
just a match and a consistent link to fuel.
I'm glad you cook a mean meal!

(Made the best food I've made yet in Guate: spicy chicken and rice with avocado.  Yay for gas stoves  and Lito (who hooked it up yesterday) and Old El Paso taco seasoning and the people who give La Senda free rice and Pam and Steve for having a stove up here!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I like cooking with gas, too, although I haven't had a gas stove since early days of marriage(except for camping of course). Sounds like you are doing great in the kitchen. Hope to talk with you soon.
Mama