Thursday, July 01, 2010

Magnolia Tree

First day of teaching went well.  I only had two of my four classes, though--Level 4 and Math 4.  Since we added an extra section of leveled English, we had a mini-assembly on the soccer field for all of the kids in these classes to learn who their new teacher is.  Even though I know all but two of my students, I had them write five things about themselves.  This gave me an opportunity to see their writing skills, and it's a good listening exercise for them to hear the sentences and try to guess who wrote them.  We also practiced appropriate behavior (stay in seat, raise hand, do your own work, etc.).  I think I'll enjoy this bunch.

My math kids are mostly struggling English speakers.  However, it's a small group at 7, so I'm excited about the opportunity to work with them on their language skills in addition to going over math concepts with them.  Pam found some mini chalkboards--tomorrow we'll use them to rework some problems we missed today.

I am also testing first and second graders on things like counting, greater than/less than, and weeks/months/days of the year.  I think I enjoy these younguns on this one-on-one basis (rather trying to teach an entire class of them).

Tomorrow, I hope to start teaching sixth and junior high.  Mostly introduction stuff with an assignment to help me assess their current skills will be on the docket.

Checked out another car today--a Cherry QQ.  It's a cute car, lime green, few miles, a little more expensive than the others, but decent.  Also stick-shift.  Even with all my lessons, I don't know that I'm quite ready for the curvy carretera in a manual car.

Precious moment of the day:
I sat observing third grade science since I hope to be of assistance from time to time in this class.  Students busily worked drawing a picture of plants, one plant that had enough water and one plant that did not.  The teacher walked around the room, checking in with students about their drawings.  Apparently she asked Jefy what kind of plant he was drawing.  "A magnolia!" he yelled out in his confident, high-pitched voice.  He then shot me a toothy grin, which I nearly missed.  Ah, yes, a magnolia tree--from our readings about Annie and Jack.  We had a brief discussion two nights ago about magnolias and their beautiful white flowers.  Evidently this trivial information had not been forgotten.

Personally, today was a bit of a sad day.  A little homesick, I suppose.  Also quite tired.  Hoping for a good night's rest tonight!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It sounds like an overall positive first day! I love you very much. Sorry to hear you're feeling slightly homesick. I've thought of you every day since you've left. =)

15 Minuets said...

Thanks, 'Rah! I love you too. :) Good to talk with you last night.