Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Saturday in Guatemala

One of the student's fathers, who is a mechanic, showed me two car possibilities today.  One is a Toyota and the other a Nissan; both are manuals (thank goodness for stick-shift driving lessons, though I was too scared to try driving them today!).  Both also have cracked windshields and are over 150,000 miles.  The Toyota has new tires and looks decent on the outside; the inside is a little rough but manageable.  It also has a nice radio.  The Nissan is a couple years newer and looks better overall.  It's a four door instead of two; this one has no radio, which could be good since that is a commonly robbed item. They sound like they run well.  I hope to look at another option later this week.  I'm starting to think that my car choice may be dependent on my living situation and it's likelihood of being broken into.  Honestly, though, I don't know how I can really judge that.  Here's to praying about it.

Met with Pam today about English curriculum.  We had a good discussion for two hours about our observations and my suggestions.  We made a game plan of what to do next and also figured out my schedule.  I'm excited about it!  I'll teach Level 4 English, 4th grade math, 6th grade English, and Basico English (junior high).  Suits me well.  Additionally, I'll be observing/collaborating in the K-3 science classes and helping with oral math exams for grades K-2. 

The other two ideas I'm excited about are the Conversation Cafe and the English Life Activity (I really need a new name for this--any suggestions?).  The CC will take place during lunch, and it's purpose is to give kids opportunity to practice informal English in a loosely structured manner.  Pam suggested we reward students for their participation by giving them a slip to prove their attendance that allows them to earn extra credit in English class.  The English Life Activity is based on the Reality Store idea I've seen done at Dunbar the past few years.  Basically, we'll have a day where students will come with their class to live life English style--they'll have to take care of business, entertainment, and family issues in English only. I'm thinking we'll have a cafe, a bank, a school, a movie theater, a game center, and other booths where students will have to practice their skills.  Since the demand for English speakers will be high to run this activity, we thought it would be good to do when a group was here.  Pam thinks there's a group coming in September who will be perfect for the task.  So, now it's time to plan it!

Gosh, I always mean for blog entries to be short, but it is not to be tonight.  The last thing to share is that tonight I was able to participate in a small group Bible study.  Several families meet here on Saturday evenings.  They played a couple of games, prayed for each other (and me), studied a lesson about the 4th spiritual law, and ate.  It was refreshing and so familiar to be around a group of people who meet together because they love Jesus and each other and desire to learn more about their relationship with him.  While I didn't feel particularly comfortable with my Spanish tonight and thus didn't speak much with the adults, I ended up playing rummy with some teenage girls.  They were elated to play with me and put up with my terrible Spanish grammar and vocab as I gave them instructions.  It was good.  I look forward to seeing these same girls again when I visit Hermana Dora's house on Wednesday since there is no school that day.

I'm missing dancing this weekend.  I'm also missing my conversation buddies.  Distance from friends and family is more noticeable when time moves slower, as it is this evening.  It's been a while since I've had to figure out what to do with myself!

No comments: