Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bienvenida! (Guatemala: Day 1)



Nothing like the view from a plane window to remind us of how small we really are.  As I peered out from the last rows of the planes today--yes, the rows right in front of the bathrooms, though it turned out not to be a bad deal--I marvelled at how much the view really does look like those replicas model train builders create.   The earth was cast in every hue of green imaginable, neat little delineations of trees and roads cutting across the landscape.  In Cinci, the lines seemed to snake and curve, much like the river nearby; in Houston, perfect little geometrical shapes marked one field from another; in Guatemala, the land was characterized by declivities and ridges alike, winding roads cutting through trees and fields, straight ones introducing the city. And the clouds?  Brilliant white cotton, mountains high, dappling the sea beneath with dark spots, so large they could be part of make believe or Alice in Wonderland.    

Landing in Guatemala City felt familiar.  Excitement and anticipation buoyed me through the landing.  After a day of good travel--on time flights, peaceful layover, and even an empty row to sprawl across to rest (that's where being by the bathrooms pays off, I guess, on a flight not quite full)--Pam and Steve met me at the airport.  Poor Steve offered to lug all 120 pounds total of my luggage, which he may have been regretting by the time we arrived at their car.  Then, off to the mall for lunch and to the supermarket for groceries and other needed supplies.  I was also able to purchase a cell phone for a good price (much cheaper than trying to pay for Global services.  Drat my purchase of a global phone last year without knowing the ins and outs of how they try to con money from me).  After some gelato, their treat, we were off to La Senda.

After spending two months here last summer, driving here felt very comfortable.  Familiar.  Good.  The school day was over by the time I arrived, but the home children were here along with some of the teachers, and they gave me an incredibly warm welcome.  Hugs all around, help carrying my bags up to the fourth floor(again, poor Sammy and Steve!), and a nice surprise in my living quarters: they'd decorated it with streamers and a welcome sign, a balloon and flowers!  The warm welcome was just fantastic.

Tomorrow I started observing English classes with the objective of figuring out a way to help the students learn English more efficiently and effectively.  I'd appreciate prayers for wisdom, knowledge, and ideas to meet this challenge!


2 comments:

Bert said...

Glad that your trip was a safe and smooth one Elizabeth! Looking forward to future updates!!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks comfy cozy. Hope you are getting settled in. Love you.
Mama