Thursday, July 09, 2009

Moments

While reviewing vocabulary with my sixth graders today, I asked them the English word for ordenado. Tidy! they replied in unision, except with a short i instead of a long i. It was so hard to supress my laughter as I asked them all to repeat the proper pronunciation.

Last night, in the midst of Rita's french-toast making and Rachel's cookie baking, I got to play entertainer for the three boys who joined us for dinner. Here's a sampling of the conversation (various adult speakers).

Let's sit at the table. Everybody want juice? Okay, Jefy, you can only have this one glass. You won't get any more. Steven, come sit down. You want to help, Gerson? Okay. Put the cookie there on the tray. You already drank your juice? Jefy, I told you you wouldn't get any more until after french toast. Okay. All at the table. Who wants fruit? All four kinds? My, you must have a big stomach. Just mangoes? Okay. Who wants to tell me the best story every? "I know!" Yes, Steven? "God." Well, I guess you can't beat that. Gerson? Yes, Jesus is good, too. What did they do? Ooh, french toast is up! Steven, come back from the porch. Okay. Get your plate. Everybody gets three pieces. Jefy, we told you to wait to start eating until everyone's back at the table. No, you can only have peanut butter on two of them. You want syrup? Turkish delight (aka, powdered sugar)? Okay, let me sprinkle it on there. Jefy, drink your juice please. You don't have any more? Okay, just a little more. But that's it. Who wants another piece? Everybody wants one. Sorry, no more peanut butter. You still have room for cookies? You want to lick the bowl? No, Jefy, you don't need to eat what Gerson couldn't finish. You've had enough. And on and on and on.

Now I know why my mom craved adult conversation after a day of babysitting. And that was only an hour and a half, if that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes having a large family sound inviting!! Never a dull moment. I am sure they had a great time.
Mama