Sunday, July 05, 2009

Grateful for Guatemalan Friends

Linda, Fernanda, and Me


Today I was invited to one of the other teacher's homes for lunch after church. Linda and I were assigned to be prayer partners on Friday (another plus for teaching at a Christian school). She is a couple years younger than I am, though we've had about the same length of teaching experience--here in Guatemala, they study to be a teacher when they are in high school and teach when they graduate, around age 18. It was a true test for my Spanish. Linda knows a few Spanish words; her family, none. Her family only got a good laugh from what I said (or tried to say) twice, so I guess that's a pretty good ratio for the afternoon.

I met two of her brothers, her parents, and her niece. We first ate at Pollo Campero, a really good fried chicken place near the mall. I was able to see their house, too, a one story cinder-block building on the grounds of a public school--Linda's mom is the school nurse. We drove to a park with a big lake, pools, and vendors and strolled around the paths. Fernanda, the two-year-old niece, was extremely excited about "agua" everywhere. We enoyed mangoes and pineapple, sliced fresh while at home, and then drove around the center of Chimaltenango so I could see central park, the police station, and government offices.

Then, I hopped on a crowded chickenbus back to Sumpango and was grateful to meet the La Senda kids walking out of Sumpango. They walk up to the city each Sunday to buy candy and other goods. Thus, I didn't have to walk home by myself. I really enjoyed my time and am grateful for Linda's friendship. I was so nervous and excited last night that I hardly slept because I was dreaming about how it would go; then Buddy, the least intelligent of the three dogs here, started barking at regular intervals for no apparent reason around 5:30 this morning and continued for quite some time.

No comments: