Saturday, July 25, 2009

Free Haircuts from the Hair Maestro and Other Group Stories

The four men here this week were truly jacks of all trades. They could paint. They could build. They could fix the plumbing. They could fix the computers. They could build fires. They could do just about anything--one could even give haircuts.

Glenda became Hair Maestro Luigi's faithful assistant as she lined up appointments for nearly all of the kids and several adults. "You must cancel 48 hours in advance or still pay," Luigi reminded us playfully. "This is a very professional establishment." My turn to get my hair cut came on Thursday, and it was nice to sit on the stool and have the length of my hair cut off. My ponytail (or chongo, as Caleb loves to call it as he tussles it each time he passes me) has been getting longer, and though my hair isn't long, a trim is nice. Lui did a great job.

Laura became my walking partner this week. She's a runner, but she willingly slowed her pace for me to join her on evening walks. I've missed quite a bit of my exercise this summer, so it was fantastic to have someone get me back on track. One of my favorite parts of walking, though, is talking. We had lots of little chats about life and plans and teaching and family and all that. Of course, talking makes breathing a little difficult--we just blame that on the high altitude though, nothing like being a little out of shape. With a starry night over head, the steady stream of traffic outside the walls, and the peacefulness of darkness in a safe place, it was a relaxing activity for the end of the day.

After pizza and cinnamon rolls on Thursday (a weird combination, I know. But it was pizza night and Geovany's 10th anniversary, and Marsha and Rachel make fabulous cinnamon rolls, so why not?), I got a chance to chat with Kevin and hear about his family. He's one of those hard working, laid back guys who just enjoys being, I think. Later that night, the crescent moon came out, making a picturesque view. We all stayed up late waiting for Steve's return, so Quiddler, homemade salsa, and fruit came out to keep us all awake and alert.

Last night was the closing bonfire, held for each group before they leave. This week we sat around it a little longer than usual. Doug and Glenda shared some of their life story with me. Doug also told me about his trip to Israel where he went for six weeks to work as a welder--an answer to his prayer that God would show him opportunities to use his talents. After the fire, we played Skip Bo in Pam and Steve's apartment while some of the others finished yet another game of Five Crowns just to have Geovany win again.

I enjoyed spending time with this group. They were very open, and I am thankful that they more or less let be an adopted group member.

No comments: