Saturday, January 15, 2011

Teaching Week One...Completed!

"Good morning, dear teacher, we're all in our places with bright smiling faces."

I've already started teaching my new students this phrase, something I must confess I completely stole from my awesome Junior year history teachers, Mr. Hathaway and Mr. Maenza.  It works well to signal the kids that class is starting, and they get a kick out of it (especially when I mimic the words with them).

My favorite thing about the beginning of the year is that I get to see the best side of the students.  I think especially at this younger age.  They are so eager to please, especially the new students who do not yet know me.  I see it in their eagerness for my approval of the notebook they've selected for class, or the diligence they show in completing their handwriting practice for the day--something I've heard from other teachers can sometimes be quite the chore to get students to complete.

Some of the most energetic sixth graders from last year have moved up into the basico (junior high) program, giving that class a fresh face.  However, I am fortunate to be able to work with students on their English in small groups during the mornings when the tutor is here.  I also get to work with the group as a whole in the afternoons twice a week, which is when I look forward to helping them more with their writing and verbal communication skills--you know, those things book learning itself can't teach you.

I am thankful to be sharing a classroom with Anita.  We seem to have a similar working style, and her everlasting patience has been good for me as she sometimes has to explain things to me in Spanish multiple times.  Plus, I have my own little corner in the school now instead of being up in the fourth tower, which makes me feel more a part of things.

The grading has begun, but somehow I still don't think it will be to the same tune as Dunbar grading, though I have a fuller load this year.  We'll see. :)

No comments: