Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bright Spots

This week has had it's ups and downs emotionally--at one point, I felt not much different from the little 2 year old crying for her mother.  However, I'd rather focus on the many bright spots I've experienced this week:

Visiting Veronica's House and Meeting Her Family.  Last weekend I stayed with Veronica, another teacher, and her family in Chimaltenango.  It was such a blessing!  It definitely afforded me the refreshment and time with people I needed.  We were able to walk around the city, go to the mall, eat yummy food that her sister prepared, play cards, and watch movies.  I was also thankful to meet her sister and brother-in-law, who have moved back here to Guatemala from the States to serve as missionaries.  I am hopeful that I will be able to spend more time with this family in the future.

Making it to the Pacific Coast in Daylight. I got to tag along with Steve on a trip to Hawaii--no joke, the pueblo's name--to pick up Brandon, one of the little boys who boards here.  Here, we met Alex, a 12 year old who is in the third grade.  Education there, evidently, is not nearly as systematic as other places.  A half day of school.  Maybe a few times a week because sometimes the teachers just cancel.  But as he showed me the ocean and explained about the numerous fish they catch and the different types of shells and the process of the endangered sea turtles a few hundred yards up the beach, it is very clear what an intelligent boy he is.  And he was intrigued that I was a teacher.  He asked me five times, I think, if I was.

Zucy and I had the same idea.  It's grown a little bit over the course of the week.  Wouldn't it be great to go there on the weekends?  Maybe open up a learning center for the kids there, sort of an extension of La Senda?

Getting my Car Fixed.  Now, the bill's not so much a bright spot.  But driving home from Guatemala City today, I could already feel the difference with new breaks and ball bearings.  No noisy sound.  No pulling on the breaks.  I feel safer already.  And, it was the first time I drove to the city.  There's much the city has to offer if you can make the time to go there and deal with the traffic.  So, that's another goal for this year--get familiar with it.

Realizing I Do Love Teaching.  Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down by the rhythm of teaching--all that planning and grading stuff.  And sometimes after a long break, I start to get nervous and wonder if I really can do it another year.  But then when school starts, I remember how much I enjoy it.  I love seeing the students.  I love seeing them learn to be organized.  I like the material.  I am glad when they ask good questions and show interest in what they are doing.  It's exciting to plan for them and think about ways to help them learn.

Washing Clothes in my Pila.  Not only is it a good muscle toner for the biceps, but it's a good thinking spot.  Right before the cold spell hit, I had a pleasant afternoon enjoying the warmth of the sun and the mindless work that let my mind take a break and think and pray a little.

Participating in the Daniel Fast.  La Senda is doing the 10-day version of the Daniel Fast (only eating fruits, veggies, anything grown from seeds, and drinking water).  Pam and Steve have been reading a chapter of Daniel a day with the kids.  I've been reading it on my own, and I have been so intrigued by Daniel's genuine faith, resolution to serve God, and humility.  Today, I loved what Daniel said in Chapter 9 because it speaks to me about prayer and perspective: "We do not make requests of you [O God] because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy" (18).

Amen for bright spots. 

No comments: