Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Robbers and Thieves and Ladrones, Oh No!

Please continue to pray for safety and security for La Senda and at home.  A couple of weeks ago, five people came into La Senda during the school day and stole some checks from the office.  Fortunately, nobody was injured or even directly threatened, but sorting out the money situation appeared to be a little challenging.  The incident particularly unnerved Pam and Steve, understandably so.

They hired a new guard (the old one let the people in without receiving permission to do so).  Good news: the new guard is doing his job.  His first weekend of work I arrived at La Senda for Sunday church service.  I found Hermana Dora, one of the nannies, and her daughters waiting outside the gate, slightly exasperated.  The guard wouldn't let them in.  After waiting ten more minutes and still not being permitted to enter, I called Steve to let him know that his guard was doing an excellent job and asked him to please radio the guard to give permission for us to enter.

This past weekend, the house across the street from me was robbed.  There are a lot of theories rolling around about who did it and why, but the end result is that we had a neighborhood meeting.  This was advantageous to me because I got to meet many of my neighbors for the first time.  They talked for over two hours about various solutions.  I think they settled on changing the lock to the front gate, reminding everyone to lock the gates when we enter and leave, and installing cameras around the perimeter.  Right when I was feeling secure, God reminds me that it's not fences and barbed wire and locks or even neighbors who keep me safe.

No comments: