Thursday, September 16, 2010

Life in the Colony

Experienced our first neighborhood fiesta last night in honor of Independence Day.  True to Guatemalan form, the meal was ready at 8:30.  Johana and I had shown up just a little late at 6:45.  But boy was it rich--corn on the cob (helote), plaintains with mole, arroz con leche, tostadas, taquitos, and more. 

While running to and from the house getting things I forgot to bring, I quite simply locked myself out.  It was one of those moments where the door slammed shut and immediately I thought KEYS! Normally, I leave them in my pockets, but I just knew that my green alligator key chain was providing a nice contrast to my purple table cloth.  Inside the house.  On the other side of the metal door.

What am I going to do? It's not like they have Pop-A-Lock for houses down here.  And somehow I didn't think the old credit card trick would work so well.  Fortunately, Johana's brother helped me break in through the front window.  Good to retrieve the keys.  Enlightening to learn how easy it is to break in when the front window is open.  Noted.

No comments: