Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Politics in ESL

Banish.  to force someone to go elsewhere.  to send away for good.

As we were working on writing a sentence for banish today, the following conversation ensued:

Me: Who has the power to banish someone?  to send them away forever?
Paula: the president.
Mimi: Jesus.
Yeny: God.
Me: Good.  Yes, they all have power.  A king, too, has lots of power.  So, let's talk about the king.  Who would a king want to banish?  to send away for good?
Jefy: Obama.

No joke.  Jefy didn't skip a beat.  I couldn't stop laughing--the unexpected answer just went straight to my funny bone, and I couldn't start class again for a few minutes.  Each sentence came out, "Okay, let's try that again.  Who would a king want to b---tee hee hee," my shoulders shaking and everything.  As my friend Becca would say, I was tickled.  My students started laughing, not quite sure what the joke was, and one student continued to point out, "Miss, your face is red.  Your face, Miss, is red.  Your face is red, Miss."

I guess we know how his parents vote.

No comments: