Wednesday, May 09, 2012

New Eats

I've been fortunate to go out with friends who can read Russian.  Fortunate, I say, because so far the only words that I understand on Russian menus are things like Jack Daniels and Absolut (that's for you, Matt!).
 
 Russian=a formidable language to master (except when it comes to vodka)

Unlike in Guatemala, there are no American fast food places here.  So, no craving McDonald's cheeseburgers for me, I hope--nowhere to get them.  And kind of a relief, too.  Korean food, on the other hand, is a hot commodity here.  I'm finding it to be quite delicious, which is fantastic because we get Korean food provided at the school Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Lots of rice, chicken cooked in all sorts of yummy sauces, and veggie salads.

I hear Indian food is another treat, though I haven't had opportunity to sample it for a meal yet.  Then there's learning the traditional food, things like somsis (like meat and onion empanadas), logmon (noodles and beef and veggies), and the five-fingers dish, so called because it's traditionally eaten with the hand. (Spelling?)

Perhaps the only unsettling discovery in food for me thus far is that meat refers to both meat and fat, so something that looks and smells scrumptious, like somsis, have fat balls within that tend to depress my appetite.  Secondly, I've learned that I much prefer seeing horses running through or grazing in the bluegrass of Kentucky than to see them in round little discs of meat and fat on my plate.  The oily residue of meat and onions stayed in my mouth nearly a full twelve hours, teeth-brushing time included, after consuming it.




The horse meat dish.  The presentation is so enticing (except for the rounds of fat or other innards on the left side)!  I also love the sugar cubes in the glass nearby.  Now that I think of it, it's quite appropriate that these two dishes are next to each other.

Yummy logmon.





Serving tea with the traditional gesture of respect: left hand supporting the serving hand and waiting until the cup is received by hand

Sitting at a topjon with ladies from school.  No shoes on the topjon!

No comments: