Friday, May 11, 2012

Back to Sesame Street

Armed with a rudimentary knowledge of Russian numbers, I split off from my roommate today at the market to make purchases on my own.  I must confess that--other than saying adin (one) and kilo (kilo)--my language failed big time, and I resorted to a series of gestures and pointing with a few Spanish words mixed in (because evidently my brain registers "foreign language" as synonymous to "Spanish" even though this Romance language does little good here).

To attain some sense of success, I introduced myself to a couple of nice ladies selling me produce.  Asking their names and stating my own is about as far as my Russian reaches beyond hello and good-bye. They seemed pleased with the introduction.  Hopefully I will remember the names and be able to communicate more effectively with them next time.

No comments: