Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Street" Evangelism

Antonio, Ian, and I were playing together this afternoon. We'd already played by the swings, and now the boys were flipping through a Toy Story 3 coloring book as we sat along the curb.  I was reading to them from the children's Bible, attempting to translate it into Spanish.

We landed on the story about the lost sheep.  Antonio was very attentive, coloring quietly and interjecting a question or two.  Ian, at three years, ran around, interested neither in the coloring nor the story about the sheep.

I started to read a sentence that said, "God loves us so much..." when Antonio announced he had some bad news about God.  "What is it?" I asked him.

"God dies," he said, his face downcast in due respect for the dead.

"Hmm," I said.  "Well, I have some good news for you.  He raises from the dead three days later." And we talked a little more about Jesus and our sins and forgiveness and God's love for us and Easter. 

We returned to the story of the lost sheep, and then kicked around a little green ball that was too hard for soccer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful are the feet of them who bring good news.