Sunday, February 06, 2011

Prayer

Prayer has been something that I have been trying to figure out since high school.  "Why do we pray?" I remember asking my youth pastor while studying Know Why You Believe.  Yes, Jesus prayed.  So we should follow his example.  Yes, Paul encourages us to pray "on all occasions."  Somehow, though, these answers and several others weren't enough for me.

I still wondered why we should pray when God already knows everything.

As a result, my prayer life has gone in cycles.  Very disciplined at times, I've made lists of people to pray for, which in high school turned into 5 pages long.  Thus, I ended up having a separate list for each day of the week.  Later, trying to move out of my legalistic ways, I decided to pray "as the Spirit led."  Well, this quickly turned into praying very rarely--evidently, I was not tuned into when the Spirit was leading.  Other times, I made shower times my prayer times, or bed time, or when I first woke up. 

Always in search of what prayer should look like and be, I am always eager to hear other people's opinions or to learn something new.

Today, then, when it was time for Day 4, Week 3: "The Obstacle [to living a victorious life in Christ] of Failure to Pray" in Beth Moore's Breaking Free study, I knew that it could be a big deal.

In her commentary she pointed to a familiar scripture: Philippians 4:4-7. 

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 

I thought to myself, that's it!  An answer I've been looking for for nearly 15 years--right in front of my face!  What joy!

Why pray?  One solid reason: so we know God's peace.

For some reason, I find this answer more sustaining, more satisfactory, than anything I've heard or learned before.

And I continue to be pleasantly surprised at how God knows these little things about me--my doubts, my fears, my confusion--and how he surreptitiously meets these needs through Bible studies or church services or an encouraging word from another.

Which leaves me feeling thankful.  And humbled.  And excited.

No comments: