Friday, December 31, 2010

Settling In

I thought it was freezing here when I left, but somehow weeks of snowy weather put things back into perspective.  The days are sunny and warm--the evenings are still chilly, so my vests will come in handy, but it feels so nice to bask in the sun.  I'm hopeful that the rays will drive this winter cold I brought down with me away quickly.

The neighborhood children gave me a huge warm welcome.  Crysta and Litzy made me a welcome back poster and stuck it on my door for me.  Litzy and Rocio gave me a welcome back gift of stuffed animals and a Horton Hears a Who CD; Jenifer, Astrid, Moises, and Antony gave me candy; Astrid sang a song for me about how much she missed me and loves me.  How sweet!  They wanted to know if I was starting Saturday school again tomorrow.  I think we'll wait another week, though.

Things at my house are looking good.  I've gotten my arms working in the pila again, washing a few things here and there.  My neighbors were looking out for me while I was gone; one turned off the water for me and another parked his truck in front of my house (at least, I'm assuming that since he did so last night, not knowing I was home).  I am thankful for good neighbors, that's for sure!

The newest addition to the 'hood is a basketball hoop.  It's fun to see the teenagers out of their houses and playing--many times it's only the littluns that are running around the streets.

Tonight I am spending the night with the La Senda kids.  They are short a nanny, so the adults are taking turns sleeping in the children's home.  Tonight's my turn.  I'm looking forward to it, though, because between settling in and their busy schedules, I haven't seen them much since I got back.

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: