Friday, August 06, 2010

Now I'm Really Living Here

...this is what occurred to me my first night in my new place.  My house.  Where I'll be for the next year.  (Yes, there's a guest room :)).  I felt more settled, more like now I can better carry out what I need to be doing here.  I still don't know all that that is, but I'm excited to find out!

What my new neighborhood is like (based on the first two days):

-You have to call me when you arrive so I can run around the corner and unlock the gate to let you in.  We're on the neighborhood watch system here.

-Driving/walking back to my house, you'll pass the first street.  My teacher friend Johana lives at the end of it, in the corner, next to the pink house.  If you go to visit her, beware of the madly barking dog on the roof up to the left.  Don't worry, though, he can't get to street level to harm you.  If you need to purchase any eggs or sugar or other basic necessities, feel free to stop by the tienda one of the women runs (I was so excited to hear about this!).

-There are only three streets in the neighborhood (shaped like an h, rotated 90 degrees and reflected), so head back to the entrance and turn right and then a quick left.  My house is the light yellow one.

-On Wednesdays, my neighbor Maricela sells chile rellenos, my new favorite Guatemalan food.  Hers are delicious!

-Each day, the bread boy comes by, ringing his bell to announce his presence.  I haven't had a chance to buy pan from him yet, but I look forward to having fresh bread.

-My neighbors get home around 9:00 P.M.  I hear them for about an hour before things settle down.

-In the morning, a neighbor's rooster crows occasionally.  I'm not sure if it's on one of the roofs or on the nearby farm.  It's pretty common for them to be on the roof.

-Johana and I walk out the gate and down the lane to the carretera and wait for another teacher friend, Mayra, to pick us up.  The mornings have been beautiful.  Today, we saw Fire Vulcano smoking.

That's my home life thus far!  Stop by for some cake and tea, k? (Maybe soon I'll have a coffee maker.)

No comments: