Monday, April 19, 2010

Signed, Sealed, and Soon Delivered

It's official, people! The support letters are in the mail and will soon arrive at your door. Guatemala or bust! PTL!

On another note, I had stick-shift driving lesson #3 yesterday, courtesy of one of my Tuesday night dinner buddies. Unfortunately, the lesson only lasted 15 minutes with me behind the wheel. No, I did not run over any old ladies. And no, I did not crash into any garage doors (or trashcans or parked cars). The brakes went out on me. Completely out. I was pressing the clutch and the brake peddle to the floorboard, fully extending my short little legs as far as they could stretch, but to no avail. Fortunately, at my panicked cries of "I don't think the brakes are working! The brakes aren't working! The brakes aren't working!" my instructor yanked the emergency brake. The good news was that I never made it over 20 MPH, so we stopped with plenty of room around us on the slightly inclined parking lot.

One thing was made clear in my short lesson time...I'm going to be in a pickle if I ever have to change gears while accelerating up a hill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so scary! Glad you were only going about 20 in a parking lot! I've yet to master the skill of stick-shift driving.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Eliz,
Why do I feel gray hairs sprouting everytime I talk to you or read your posts?!? As for driving stick shift - practice, practice, practice (but be sure the car has brakes!). Hope your lip and nose are better.
Love ya,
Mama