Saturday, January 24, 2009

Purple Pens & Staplers

I have a fetish for purple pens. I use them to grade, mostly, but I also use them to write letters. If I can't find the right pen, it seriously hinders me from getting started on my work. I feel this intense sense of loss; I feel imbalanced, and it is a good half hour before I acquiesce to using a different colored pen than the one I had hoped for.

The pen deal is quickly fading, though, thanks to the supply I received for Christmas. Thus, my new crisis is my stapler. I think I'm on somewhere around stapler #10 over the course of the past 2 to 3 years, and I'm about to go crazy! Over Christmas I bought a brand new, super duper handheld power stapler--the kind where you barely apply any pressure and it Bam! shoots the staple through 15 pages. Low and behold, the first day I allowed students to use it, since I couldn't find my student-friendly version, they broke it. So, I bought a brand new red stapler for students, and a translucent green super-powered one for me. They have survived one week, although it became touch and go awhile for the red one. It apparently has an innate ability to jam that can easily fool one into thinking it's dead when it's not.

I'm starting to understand Office Space much better.

No comments: