Friday, January 30, 2009

Ice Storm 2009

Wow! An entire week out of school. What a life! How, do you ask, have I been using my week? Besides glancing out the window every hour or so to note the change in the thickness of the ice on the trees, watch the fat snowflakes tumble down, see if the green garden hose has yet disappeared, or observe the sun converting the glass-like ice to prisms of color, I've been relaxing. Grading papers, drinking chai, reading books, hanging with friends. My former roommate and her husband lost power, so they stayed with us for two nights. They had to go to work, unfortunately, unlike my roommate and I. However, it was fun to eat dinner together and watch movies and TV.

I finished reading the first book in the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. If you love Christian historical fiction, you'll love this book. Not too cheesy, interesting, spiritually challenging in its own way. I'm on to rereading book two--yes, rereading because I read book number 2 before book number 1, a big no-no in trilogy reading. Oh well, se la vie.

Last weekend I saw Slumdog Millionaire. Fabulous. Definitely recommend it. Storyline is creative, using the questions the protagonist answers on the Indian version of the show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? as the catalyst for flashbacks to how he learned the answers. Within those flashbacks, though, are harsh memories of a childhood filled with people who are looking out only for themselves or those who want to take advantage of homeless, poor youth. In the movie's superb storytelling, then, lay barbs of cold reality that will stick with you long after the closing credits. Regardless, a must see.

No comments: