Saturday, November 05, 2005

Like a Little Child

The little boy rests his head gently on his father's shoulder. Suddenly, his right leg swings back and forth; Father continues talking, hardly noticing the movement. Five tiny fingers slide around the man's neck, and calm ensues. Stillness. Rest. The thumb must taste like candy. His palm lies on his father's back, but his fingers pump up and down, giving his father comforting pats. Father returns the gesture unconsciously, laughing at the woman's comments while his thick fingers beat out a love song. Little Boy's large eyes roam the room, and settling on my attentive face, stare blatantly for several seconds before his lips slowly spread into a grin. Peek-a-boo! He stares out between the cracks of his hands, then around his father's neck. Is she still there?
I have to leave. I rise, grab my trash, toss it, and exit.

Some days I wish I could be a little kid again.

1 comment:

Recovering Alumni said...

Oh, 2 posts! You are such a good blogger! :) Did you get my email?