Friday, May 13, 2011

Birthday and Mother's Day

Officially turned another year older on U.S. Mother's Day.  Happy belated Mother's Day to all you mothers out there!  I am thankful for the love, guidance, and friendship of my own mother.  Love you, Mama! :)


Yep, I turned the big 2-9.  Last year in my third decade.  Can't believe I am twice as old as (or more) my students!  The La Senda kids have picked up on calling me Lizzy--until now, only a nickname from my family.  They derive it from Lizzy McGuire, of all things.

 Eating with the La Senda fam at Pollo Campero

 Waiting for the delicious fried chicken and French fries...

 Shout out from Steve at the other end of the table

 Birthday party at Silvia's house

 
The party crew

Mother's Day is a huge deal here in Guatemala.  In fact, unless they do domestic work, mothers get the day off.  At La Senda, we cancelled classes for all but those students who are behind, and only those of us childless teachers were required to work.  Hermana Zucy told me about El Tejar's tradition to serenade all of the moms by driving a truck around with the instrumentalists at 1 in the morning.  My friend Johana spent the day in Guatemala City with her mom and sister, shopping and eating out.  She said they ran across many other mothers doing the same thing.

Hermana Zucy worked with the La Senda kids to prepare a performance and breakfast just for Pam.  It was sweet!

 Kids all lined up and ready to sing for Pam on Guatemalan Mother's Day (May 10)

 Pam's mother Joyce and Pam--how fun that they were together on this day!

 Chatting it up

Group hug for mama

Un Vals Para Mi Madre--the Guatemalan Mother's Day song.  It's something, I was told, all Guatemalans know well.

1 comment:

Jen said...

They sing in the middle of the night to mothers in Mexico as well!! :)

I was "homeschooling," and my kids expected that we would take the day off for Mother's day. haha. we didn't. I guess the U.S. should switch Mothers day from the weekend to the middle of the week so that women with kids can have the day off like in other countries!! :)