Friday, June 25, 2010

Living Space and Security

Checked out two more living spaces today with Pam.  One is in Sumpango with a family of five.  It is a three story house in the middle of the city.  I would have my own room and bath, and they would agree to provide food as well.  It has a great view of the city from the third floor. :)  This one looks like a great chance to really learn how native Guatemalans live.  The only negative is that if I buy a car, I would have to park down the street and around a corner since the streets are so narrow.  Security becomes a concern, especially driving and walking down the street at night.  However, this family has offered the most economical rate so far.

The other place is in a little neighborhood close to La Senda.  It is probably the most similar to our idea of suburban housing I've seen in Guate.  It is in a gated community with a guard.  The family has two small children.  There would be a place to park a car, and they too would provide meals.  This house, however, would cost twice as much and does not include a private bath. 

I hope to decide by Wednesday since a group will be coming early in July and could use my current living space; also, I need to let the families know if I accept their offer or not.

Thinking about people's safety in Guatemala overwhelmed me with sadness today.  It is pretty much expected that everyone will be robbed at some point (if not multiple times).  In the States, being robbed is a big deal, at least where I've lived (Walmart purse snatchers, anyone?).  Here it seems like it's nothing but an "oh, that's too bad" when someone's business is completely liquidated by robbers.  Not to say that people don't care--it's certainly sad and upsetting--but it doesn't seem to come as a surprise.  This realization gives new meaning to the verse, "Some trust in chariots and some trust in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God" (Psalm 20: 7). Sure, they have guards and gates (horses and chariots) here, and while they provide some sense of security to those who live behind them, they don't necessarily rely on them because they can't. God truly is the only source of security for those who believe in Him.

How does a society overcome this constant threat from its own?  Why do people have to live like this?  I am aware of it here, yet I know that here is not the only place this is common.  I also have lots of ready-made answers, but they don't seem to help too much with the practical application.  So, what does this mean for me? 

No comments: